Update: The City of Lowell has been awarded a $13,389,750 grant from the United States Department of Transportation’s Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER VII) Discretionary Grant Program.
The City and UMass Lowell would like to thank the US Department of Transportation, Sen. Ed Markey, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Congresswoman Niki Tsongas and all of the community partners whose assistance made this grant award possible.
This page serves as an archive for all materials related to the TIGER application process, including the Narrative and Executive Summary of the application; Letters of Support; and documents related to Engineering, Matching Funds, and Permitting.
If funded through the TIGER VII program, the project will end the private ownership and limited maintenance of these bridges that carry critical public infrastructure - eliminating weight restrictions and bridge closures that are currently crippling transportation circulation and impeding public safety, economic opportunity, and access to education in Downtown Lowell and the Acre Neighborhood. In addition to being a center of economic and educational opportunity, Lowell also serves as a regional transportation hub for the Merrimack Valley in Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. In line with USDOT’s mission, the Canal Bridges project presents a real opportunity to significantly contribute to ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system and will create significant Ladders of Opportunity in Lowell.
Grant Application Materials
- Lowell, MA Congressional Delegation
- Lowell, MA State Legislature Delegation
- Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- Coalition for A Better Acre
- Greater Lowell Chamber of Commerce
- Lowell Community Health Center
- Lowell Fire Department
- Lowell National Historical Park
- Lowell Plan
- Lowell Police Department
- Lowell Public Schools
- Lowell Regional Transit Authority
- Mass Bike
- Middlesex Community College
- Northern Middlesex Council of Governments
- Northern Middlesex Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Trinity EMS
- UMass Lowell Campus Police
Detailed Project Schedule (not current)
- Pawtucket Street over the Pawtucket Canal - Full Report
- Pawtucket Street over the Northern Canal - Full Report
Broadway over the Pawtucket Canal
Central Street over the Lower Pawtucket Canal
Suffolk Street over the Northern Canal
Merrimack Street over the Western Canal
Merrimack Street over the Merrimack Canal
Kearney Square over the Eastern Canal
Right of Way